I ran into this fun issue the other day where I I couldn't access one of my sites. I assumed it was a problem with ASP.NET so I uninstalled it. To my dismay, the reinstall failed! That has never happened before! The problem was actually a simple one. I had moved one of the many websites I had running in IIS, but didn't bother to update the actual IIS website (I wasn't actively working on that site). However, when trying to install ASP.NET again, it was using the IIS metabase to add some files to each site. So when it tried to add files for the site I had moved it couldn't find the directory and the install failed.
2010-03-02 16:06:59 Success Creating list of client site scripts dirs 2010-03-02 16:06:59 Starting Copy the client side script or web admin files to a list of directories. 2010-03-02 16:06:59 Success Copy the client side script or web admin files to a list of directories. 2010-03-02 16:06:59 Starting Setting IIS key for script files 2010-03-02 16:06:59 Success Setting IIS key for script files 2010-03-02 16:06:59 Starting Creating list of client site scripts dirs 2010-03-02 16:06:59 Starting Creating directory: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Test\aspnet_client 2010-03-02 16:06:59 Failure Creating directory: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Test\aspnet_client: CreateDirectoryInternal failed with HRESULT 80070003: 'The system cannot find the path specified. ' 2010-03-02 16:06:59 Failure Creating list of client site scripts dirs: CreateSiteClientScriptDir failed with HRESULT 80070003: 'The system cannot find the path specified. Setup has detected some errors during the operation. For details, please read the setup log file C:\DOCUME~1\ME\LOCALS~1\Temp\ASPNETSetup_00002.log C:\Documents and Settings\me\Local Settings\Temp
Fixed by calling the registration script with these options:
from the framework directory: